Sunday 4 December 2011

Feelings vs Attitude


Being human and somewhat selfish, I can tend to easily feel 'put out' or 'slighted.' Or, I'm tired and something that would normally not bother me, makes me really mad. And so on. I'm sure you have had these type of insiduous, creeping 'feelings' that can make you feel sour and twist you into yourself. I was feeling a bit this way the otehr day when I read this quote by C. S Lewis:

"Don’t bother too much about your feelings. When they are humble, loving, brave, give thanks for them; when they are conceited, selfish, cowardly, ask to have them altered. In neither case are they you, but only a thing that happens to you. What matters is your intentions and your behaviour."




Wow! C.S Lewis had such wisdom and a way with words that will never cease to astound me. It doesn't matter if we have the feelings I mentioned above, we're human, we're flawed, its gonna happen. What matter is our reaction, our attitudes, and our behaviours. I have no right to project negativity on others, just because I have had a bad morning. In fact, I have no right to speak negatively to myself either. What we need to do is realise that our feelings don't define who we are, they don't have to shape our world. We are bigger than feelings, and we can respond in a way we choose. 




I think I will write this quote down and put it in my wallet. Next time I'm feeling 'off' I would do well to read this, and readjust my thinking - I am defined by more than my feelings, and I am smart enough to look objectively at a situation and respond in a more befitting way that my feelings might allow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...