Monday 2 June 2014

Long-term

So only a few weeks ago I was ready to fight to get Baby A weaned from her tube.

And then this past week we FINALLY had our assessment from a speech language therapist- the assessment that should have happened months ago.

Anyway.

The SLT believes that A has a very weak suck and will be reliant on the NG tube for a year or more.

Yep that long.


Her assessment hit me like a tonne of bricks and yes I cried when she said this, and yes I sobbed and sobbed when she finally left. I was not expecting this.

In the week since I have implemented the tips the SLT mentioned. And A's feeding has gotten worse. She takes barely 20ml a feed now, whereas before it was 50-70ml.

So, I don't really think the SLT's plan is working for A, and I am not sure what I think of her assessment.

I am torn and I don't know whether I need to continue to fight and try and wean her before her feeding gets any worse (and really, it can't get much worse before she is nil by mouth.)

Or, I don't know whether I should just respect her decision and stop worrying about it, and just let A do things in her own time.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place here and I don't know what to do. I wish I had a crystal ball and could see the future- will she get a tube dependant if we leave her on the tube, or will she eventually wean herself naturally?

Instead we'll fumble along day by day, trying different approaches and tricks, trying to do our best, even though we have no idea what that is.

(here's hoping)




2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn, I'm part of the TTC support group that Melody started which is how I've come across your blog. I just wanted to say that my Mum has worked with babies for 20+ years and is now working for herself as an 'Infant and Child Consultant'. She is not trained in speech and language therapy, and I can't guarantee she could help you, but I do know that she is very very good at what she does to help parents and babies with all manner of difficulties. This does include feeding and I know she works with you and your individual circumstances, she really listens and she may be able to offer you some assistance. Her website is www.judyarnold.co.nz or you can check out her Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/askjudyarnold. She does live in Christchurch, so would only be able to help via phone, email and Skype, but you wouldn't be the first person she's helped this way.

    I truly wish you the best of luck with this feeding stuff - I haven't been there myself so can only imaging how difficult it all is - but I am sure you'll get there in the end.

    Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Katknz!! I'll have a week look at your mum's website, she sounds like a great lady

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...