Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
Quit university before finishing a program.
Saw my little brother get married.
Ran in a race.
Co-organised and co-ran a conference.
Got my research published.
Got pregnant. 3 times!

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I wanted to finish my honors degree, but for several reasons that didn't happen and I'm at peace with it. We wanted to save enough of a deposit for a house, and we did but only for a small house, then the lending rules changed (higher % of a deposit needed). I don't feel too disappointed about these 'failures' though. Thats life, these things happen.

I ran a PB in a 7k race- so I did achieve one of my goals :)

My goals for next year- get fit again. Be a calm, well slept mother (??!!)

3. What countries did you visit?
I just stayed here in good old NZ this year! The first year we haven't gone overseas in a while.

4. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Jan 12th. The day my little brother got married and my family was all together.



5. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Running 7km in 38 minutes. For the 'girl who never runs' I felt pretty stoked about that one.

The dream running team.


6. What was your biggest failure?
Being too disconnected from people and from God.


7. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Well, miscarriages. And a few minor trips to hospital with this pregnancy.

 




8. What was the best thing you bought?
A new car with 4 doors, wohoo!

9. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, food, maternity clothes, board games.

10. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Being pregnant (are you seeing a theme here...?).

11. What song will always remind you of 2012?
The hurt and the healer by Mercy Me.

12. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Happier
b) Thinner or fatter? Much, much heavier (but I have an excuse.)
c) Richer or poorer? About the same.
13. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Being present in the moment. Not day dreaming or worrying.

14. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Moving house (two times in 6 months is more than enough.)

15. What was your favourite TV programme?
Sherlock! (BBC version.) We also got into Jonathan Creek (English murder dramas are the best.)

16. What was the best book you read?
I've been going through the old John Grisholm's- he's a pretty good author!

17. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Mercy me, Haerts.

18. What did you want and get?
Pregnant.


19. What did you want and not get?
Seeing my family more often (being spread out over NZ doesn't help.)

20. What kept you sane?
God, Matt, music on pandora.

21. What political issue stirred you the most?
Again, child poverty in NZ. I've struggled with some of our governments initiatives (or glaring lack of.) And I've struggled with my on and off apathy towards others in this country, if I can be completely honest.

22. Who did you miss?
My parents and my grandparents.

23. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012
A picture can sum this one up:


That was 2013 for me. A year of extreme highs and lows, compared to my relatively sheltered life so far. I keep an online diary where I just write a summary of each day (have been doing it for about 3 years) and it's been interesting going back to read the entries from this year .
I could sum the entries from each month up this way

January- yay new years and holidays and my brother getting married
February- yay running and being fit
March- yay back to work, starting uni, moving house and am I pregnant?
April- I think I'm pregnant... oh nope, I lost it.
May- I am sad and busy organising a conference and studying
June- yay I am pregnant again. Oh nope, I lost it. I am very sad and also busy organising a conference.
July- Yay for conference and distracting things. Oh man, think I am pregnant again I am very scared.
August- definitely pregnant and sick sick sick every day.
September- yay we made 12 weeks, can't believe it! So happy telling everyone. Oh also, uni is not working for me right now, I quit.
October- we're moving house again and yay I got to see my parents. Also yay I stopped vomiting every day.
November- IT'S A GIRL! Also crazy busy at work
December- End of year shindigs and sun

When you simplify 365 days like that it looks like I packed a lot in this year. It didn't feel like it at the time though, some months really dragged.


I'm excited for 2014 and the changes, hope and possibilities it brings.

Happy New Year to you and yours xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...