Matt and I have been doing well on our flexitarian eating plan. It has inspired me to find new recipes, and most have them have been SO delicious. Who needs meat?
Here is one we love, and its great right now, as its Eggplant season. This is quite a light meal, perfect for Spring nights.
Rigatoni with Eggplant and Tomato
- One large, ripe Eggplant
- Lots of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 Onion, peeled and inely chopped
- 1-2 cans of plum tomatos (or any canned tomatos.)
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar (not essential)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 chopped chilli (optional)
- bunch of fresh Basil, leaves ripped and stalks sliced
- 4 tablespoons heave cream (not essential - leave out for Vegans.)
- 300g wholewheat or plain Rigatoni (or any pasta)
- Block of mozerealla (we used normal cheese)
- Parmesan for serving (leave out all cheese for vegans)
Chop the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices, chop garlic, onion, chilli, basil and basil stalks.
Put a large pan on heat and drizzle in 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil. When hot, add the eggplant, and constantly stir them for about 5 minutes. You might want to add more olive oil (this makes the eggplant taste so delicious.)
Add the garlic and onion in. When they have colour, add the canned tomatoes, chilli and the balsamic vinegar. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Add the basil stalks and simmer for around 15 mins.
Add the cream.
At the same time, cook the pasta following packet instructions. When cooked drain it but save a little of the cooking water. Add a little olive oil in and move it around so the pasta becomes dressed in water and oil.
Now add the tomato sauce to the pasta. Add the mozerella(/cheese) and basil just before serving, and stir around. Serve with parmesan sprinkled on top.