Tuesday 12 November 2013

Marble Cake: Strawberry, Vanilla and Mint

Last week I made a cake for a friends birthday. I wanted some colour but I couldn't be bothered doing a layer cake (too much time!). So instead I decided to do a marble cake, because you can have all the colours and flavours and you just put the mixture in one pan- easy!

I took a basic vanilla cake recipe and made a big batch of that. Then I split it into 3 bowls. To the first bowl I added some more vanilla. To the next I added a little spearmint flavouring and green food colouring. To the third I added some strawberry puree (about 10 strawberries pureed) and a little pink food colouring. You could just use strawberry flavouring, but why not use the real stuff if you have it?

Then I added 'splotches' of each flavour to the pan. Once all the mixture was added in I swirled it with a toothpick.


Bake as usual, then let it cool. Decorate as you wish- there are so many ways! I decided to do rosettes in the three colours, but you could just do plain rosettes or frosting and let the inside be a pleasant surprise!

I found that the flavours went together well. But there are so many other options depending on what you have in your cupboard- chocolate, orange and vanilla? chocolate, lemon and strawberry? Chocolate, mint and orange? So many options, my mouth is watering already.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...