Friday 21 October 2011

Hair Tutorial: How to get Ombre/Pastel Hair


Pastel hair colours are so in right now. Just see here, here and here. I was intrigued, and decided to give it a try myself. I watched a few how-to videos, and decided to try it myself.

First things first, you will need blonde or lightened hair to start with. It won't show up on darker hair. So if you want to DIY, you will have to bleach your hair first if it is not already light, and sorry I don't know how to do that.

Ok, so you will need the following;















  • Gloves
  • Hair Colour (I used Fudge Paint Box, off trade me, or from a hairdresser. That small bottle will last ages)
  • Lots of white conditioner. It can be the cheapest kind, as long as its white
  • A bowl to mix in
  • Clips to clip your hair up
  • Tinting brushes - this makes it way easier. Available at any pharmacy
  • A towel you don't mind destroying
  • Not in the photo, but tinfoil to do foils, to keep it out of the way while its drying
I would recommend doing this naked, with the towel around your shoulders. The colour will destroy any clothes you have on. 

Begin by mixing a tiny bit of the hair colour with heaps of conditioner. (I used too much colour, and ended up using all the conditioner, hence making way too much mixture.)















You could go this light, or lighter. It depends how pastel you want it to be. Now make sure you are wearing gloves and apply it to your hair. If you want 'highlights' you will need to use tinfoil to paint it onto, so you don't get the rest of your hair. If you're just doing the bottom, like me, you can use tinfoil or not, its up to you. You could do two different colours (I may try this), but you will need to be careful to keep them separate from each other




















As you can see, the colour stains! I had to do this twice, as the first time it wasn't showing enough. The second time I did about 10 foils instead of 2, and it made it look a lot better. So do as I say, not as I show in the photo. 

Leave on for about 30 minutes - you can check the colour as you go. Rinse out with cold water. Then dry your hair and admire your colour. Style as usual

After first attempt- see not very bright
















After second application - much better!




















The good thing about doing just the tips, or hidden highlights, is that you can easily hide them for work, in an up do or a bun. The colour will wash out pretty quickly - mine is quite faded now. So just apply again when you need to, if you have a lot of mixture made up, all you have to do it apply it. 
To make it even better, you could do it with a friend, apply it to each other hair, for a more 'even' look. (Note, if doing the colouring with a friend, maybe best you don't do it naked. Might be time to find some old clothes you don't mind ruining ;)




















Your hair will look so pretty! I think its a great look for summer

Enjoy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...