Tuesday 27 March 2012

A skinny girl's fallacy

Currently I'm hurting in places I didn't know could hurt. It's not cos of secret spousal abuse (anyone who knows Matt and I know it would be me doing the abusing, if any were happening.) Nor is it because I am sick in any way. Nope. Instead I have joined a gym and am submitting myself to very hard weights toning classes about 2-3 times a week.

You see, for many years I lived a lie. I was skinny-ish, so I 'looked' fit. I never exercised, basically because I was lazy. Skinny girls can lie to themselves that they are fit.
But, as the years have come on, it has become abundantly clear to me that I am in no way fit. Take for example a short run Matt and I decided to go on in early January. At first I was going for it- 'I'm the king of the world!'... nek minit, I'm nearly throwing up, heaving in pain, and have to walk home. Oh the shame.

Also, last year I was asked on more than one occasion if I was pregnant. So the 'food baby' was getting a little out of control.

So, I joined the gym. I am going to classes (as opposed to hopping on a treadmill) for a few reasons:

  • They have instructors who know what to do
  • The instructors really push you. My personal 'give up' level is about 20 mins (ok seconds) into the 50 min class, so they push you to keep going
  • Its not just me... others are there too. And you don't want the shame of giving up in front of peers
My goals through this are to get fit and toned. Losing weight is not a goal, which means I'm not doing too much cardio, but more weight and strength training. I'm doing a class called power (that links to an 80's style fitness video), which is all about strength. 

Don't worry, its not my goal to look like this guy

And yesterdays class, was so HARD! Near the end of the class we do abs, and not only did we have to plank (at a time when we're wasted already), but we had to lift our butt's up and down, then kick our legs out one at a time, too. Lets just say at the end I was grunting like a dying animal in pain. Oh plank, how I loathe and love you.

Second row down is what I mean. Try it... after 3 minutes of this you will cry

But..the pain is SO good. I love it! I love being able to up my weights (started on 1kg each side, up to 4.5 each side. One man in the class lifts 15kg each side...all class!), and see improvement in my body.

Why am I telling you this? Because I am good at giving up. And I need to be held accountable! And if I make a blog post about it, thats about as public as it gets, so no going back.

I will end with some ways to get toned abs (my dream goal....)

Easier than planking

I wouldn't recommend this swiss ball one unless you want to break an arm from a falling injury.
And, for your toned abs, you can thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...